Saturday, May 19, 2007

Do muscles need money ?

The middle class have big problems. And I am not talking about the conventional ones -meeting large expenses with small pockets. I am talking about the problems that they don't realise they have. The problems which would typically elicit a response of 'ignorance-bliss-folly-wise'.

I live in Gurgaon. It is an urban hell-hole. Try looking at it on Google-earth and you'll realise what I'm talking about. All concrete, no greenery. But there is another, equally sorry aspect, to this city. It is the glaring absence of any social-architecture - places where people wind-down after a day's work and pursue the stuff that they really earn there money to do.

But then why was I ranting about the middle class to begin with, right? Well, if you look closely at this city, you'll find the sports facilities and the parks that you are looking for. But they have been developed as privileges for the filthy rich rather than healthy retreats for all. Today, as I was driving by such a 'recreational club', my inadvertent remark was 'its good to be rich'. But then I suddenly checked myself! Why do I need to be rich to play a game of tennis? Why do I need to be rich to work-out in a gym? I could easily lead myself into believing that these activities are expensive and hence out of the reach of a middle class pocket or more importantly, a middle class time schedule. After all, many of us have been reared-up believing that money, or the pursuit of it, is the ultimate point of life. And since the rich have the money, they can afford to waste their time playing games and working-out in gyms. What a load of crap! We just don't know why we are earning what we are earning. We earn for the future and we f*** the present. We earn for a fictitious wife, we earn for a fictitious child, we earn for an impending disease or we earn for an MBA degree. That's what we do - THE MIDDLE CLASS! And what happens to this middle class when they've finally arrived in life - when they've finally met all the goals they had been saving their money for? A picture like this:

"Arre Sharmaji, humne to inhee beevi bacchon ko bada karne mein apni zindagi laga dee, varna hum bhi the aadmi kaam ke"

1 comment:

AllanMcPhrust said...

Nice one...though you shouldn`t criticise gurgaon so publicly. I know it`s bad but public criticism would crash the property rates; thereby wiping gurgaon`s only reason for existence.