Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jesus and the path to salvation

This week was a relatively free and peaceful one. And to enjoy it, I was sitting in one of the many spacious courtyards in UCLA, planning my work in the weeks to come. Five minutes into my deliberations, I was accosted by two young asian kids. Not intending to be rude, I peacefully answered their preliminary questions about my name, my department etc. Now, in my mind, I was almost sure that the hidden motive behind this interaction is a donation. However, this meeting had other intentions.

These kids were 'messengers of god'. At least that is what they called themselves. They asked me whether I had heard the gospel. Being a hindu, and having never gone to a church, I said no. I immediately saw their eyes light up from the prospect of 'educating' me about Jesus and his teachings. They spent some time explaining to me about his birth, his teachings and the 'gift' that he offers humanity. Do you know what that gift is? Well the concept is like so : Every person, whether he intends to or not, commits sins (sins being defined by the bible). Lets assume that the these sins are similar in nature in most religions. After all, deeds like hurting another animal, using curse words, jealousy, adultery etc. are not appreciated by any religion. Now, if you have committed these sins, then you will go to hell. Period! So how do you make up for the sins that you have committed ? Will working for humanity and doing good deeds sort of make up for the sins that you commit? Nope! Thats the catch! Apparently, working for the good of humanity, helping other animals, philanthropy etc. dont do any good at all. Your 'sin' account is a fixed deposit which you cant access. Isnt that scary ! If not for you, it was pretty scary for those young kids. The only way to get rid of the sins is to start believing in Jesus. Yes, thats right! No need for any philanthropy. Do the sins that you want to do, fuck your neighbor's wife if you feel like it, kill animals for no apparent reason; and in the end, just ask forgiveness from Jesus. Neat, isn't it !

P.S. - Even in this day and age, only god knows how people can be so illogical and naive. Not having a direction in life is one thing but following someone or some belief without any true basis..... thats just plain Stupid!

1 comment:

Aathira Nair said...

Sad!

Looking up at the Sky is more important for some rather than looking at those looking right at you .