Saturday, May 17, 2008

The joy of typing

There is definitely a sense of pleasure in typing the proper way. Till about last month, I used to be the kind of person who looks at the keyboard while typing hoping that the words will come out right in the end.

The laptop is our generation of paper and not knowing how to type is synonymous to having a bad handwriting. I used to think that there isn't much difference in typing while looking at the keyboard as opposed to while looking at the computer screen. But now that I have deliberately pushed myself to do the latter, I find that there is a world of difference. To be able to see what you intend to state makes your thought process much more logical. It helps to develop a flow in your writing. I used to argue that typists who look at the screen often make a lot of mistakes and the 'backspace' key tends to become the most important key on the keyboard. Wouldn't this back and forth motion of the letters hinder the thought process more ? After all, when you look at the keyboard and not at the screen, the error rate does go down!But to my pleasure, I have discovered that it is not the case. The back and forth motion, irritating as it may be, doesn't harm the flow as much as typing without looking. I guess it reflects human nature. We will prefer to be aware of our actions, make mistakes, correct them and move ahead compared to keeping our heads down, stay unaware of the consequences of our actions and hope for the best.

No comments: