Monday, April 13, 2009

Hello Again - I hope I am back for good

Hello All,

There are not many who follow this blog. However, to the few who do, or did, hello again! I discontinued writing some months back because of 2 main reasons. First, I didn't have much too write about. I now realize that that shouldn't have stopped me. Many people just write gibberish and others find ways to make sense out of it. I could be one of them! The second reason was that I felt that I had lost touch with the skill of writing. Each time I wrote a blog, the words seemed not to do justice to the breadth of emotion that I wanted to express. Moreover, it took too much time to craft a gramatically well balanced paragraph. Accepting it as a skill I didn't have, I dropped blogging altogether.

However, during the past few weeks, I had to write a site-visit report for an NGO I volunteer for. Writing that report reminded me of the joy of writing those well balanced paragraphs that I had come to hate. It still took me many hours to complete the report which a better writer could have finished in only a couple. But still, the joy of reading through those painstakingly well crafterd sentences was a very satisfying compensation indeed. 

My advice to writers who face a block just like I did is to keep it simple! Just go back to the basics of sentence construction. I know that its difficult to stem the flow of thoughts but writing is not about stemming it at all. Its about funneling it. Pour those thoughts slowly and steadily and you will have something well written in the end. 


No comments: