Sunday, August 7, 2011

Generous with praise


People rarely sway towards the dark side. If it has to be black and white, people indulge in white generously. After all, it is just not politically current to be critical when there is no harm to tell a white lie in the positive.

I cartoon. I am fairly okay but there are big gaps in my skill-set. I am lousy with animals. Most of my cartoons are frontal and I find it a little difficult to go the normal way with a pencil sketch and then bold lines on top, which means a lot of errors and cover ups. However, I am always surprised at the heaps of praise laid on top of me from people who witness my creations.

Why? Well partly because people like me and its nice to compliment something pretty. But, then there are those who are willing to swear by my talent and seem to fall head over heels to my creations. For those people - give it a rest! A polite comment is well taken as it is usually meant - 'Hey Sumit, that looks pretty, hope you become even better at it'. However, heaps of praise mean either of two things - 'Hey Sumit, I have such poor taste that this looks like a masterpeice to me' OR ' Hey Sumit, I just want to be in your good books so I'll call your average creations awesome'. Take your pick, oh you generous with compliments friend(s) of mine.

1 comment:

supernova17 said...

this is the meanest, most pathetic blog post ive ever read in my whole life..maybe some people do believe in your talent and want to encourage you to succeed and maybe being effusive comes naturally to them and is part of their nature...ure actually an insane person...!