Sunday, May 22, 2011

Towns where it actually happens


Its the 22nd of May and today is a good day. I arrived in Philly yesterday night and crashed at an old friend's place in center city.

I have done the round of acivities that characterize the day - brushed, showered, had breakfast. And after having done that, I have settled with my faithful netbook to explore the web, stumbling away on nice websites. But, knowledge without context, inforamation without action has its limits. I explored the dinner table to find this cute postcard of a cute theatrical group that performed in Philly recently. I got a paper & pen together to put the inspiration down. And, when done, I did some research, found the email address of the director and sent her the sketch.

I like the developed countries. They remind me of the things that we were taught when we were kids but which we never found to exist when we stepped into the real world. For example, I was taught that you should stop your car and give way to the ambulance or the fire truck. Really!? With the narrow roads and jam-packed traffic, that never happened. I was told tales of this magical place called a library with books that stoke your imagination. Really?! Even if I did find one, never did I find it worth enough to visit twice. And then I remember being taught stories where people were firemen, postmen, actors and painters who co-existed with the doctors and the businessmen (who actually never figured in stories, now that I remember). Really?! Of the 22 years spent at home, I knew absolutely no-one who pursued the above 'alternate' professions.

But these things are not tales of fiction. They happen in reality in the developed countries. Like this theatrical group...

No comments: