Friday, February 19, 2010

Done better, could I have?

How much is enough? Now that I have gotten through to one of the best b-schools in the country, I ask myself "could I have done better?". The answer is unfortunately, yes. However, when I try to sift through the positives and the negatives of the options I have, the answers and the reality seem to be a little different.

The round of introspection goes as follows:
q1. Do you want to do a 2 year MBA ?
a1. No. I think doing an MBA is fundamentally a waste of time. The less time I waste, the better. However, the world will not pay me my worth unless I do an MBA. If I have to, I would prefer to do a one-year MBA

q2. Of the good one-year MBAs, where else do you think you could qualify?
a2. I could get into INSEAD. I probably wouldn't have gotten through this year which is why I didn't apply. however, considering the job options I have, I might not make it through the next year either. I do understand that ISB is one of the best places to do a one-year MBA from.

q3. Do you want to settle abroad, live abroad or work abroad?
a3. Truth be told, I don't want to feel stuck. I guess, settling down and committing to someone and some place is difficult. However, I understand that you do have to settle down somewhere eventually. I wouldn't want to make India my home base. However, I do not want to feel stuck. I should be able to work and travel abroad once in a while.

q4. Do you think that your profile will get more traction in INSEAD or in ISB?
a5. Well. I had conceived the notion that in a great b-school, everyone will get awesome jobs. However, I realize that that is not going to happen. In fact, some of my friends are having bad luck in finding good positions in foreign b-schools. From that perspective, the IIT tag behind me will provide much more of a traction in an Indian b-school (like ISB) that a foreign one, like INSEAD. It should be kept in mind though, that the number of IITians in ISB has been rising constantly over the years as well.

q5. Finally, isn't a bird in the hand .... ? Also, if a one-year MBA is what you are looking for, how many options do you have really which are better than this one?
a5. I agree. The bird saying does hold true. It is a good school. I will just have to pull up my socks and differentiate myself there as well. Considering the fair amount of mess I am in, career-wise, it makes sense to hold on to this life-line and move. Had I gotten an awesome job to extract me out of this mire of second-rate consulting firms and non-profits, I could have reconsidered. However, looking at the possible job options I have, it makes sense to stick with what I have gotten.



I have also realized that many of my blogs are about me. It is very self-centered of me. I promise to be more informative and productive in my writing moving forward. I just hope that my imaginary readers will excuse this phase of my life. It is very difficult to make such life-changing decisions.

No comments: