Thursday, February 18, 2010

Impressions of childhood

Some impressions seems to remain for life. I remember years ago, when there was only a single doordarshan channel and the world was a slightly better place, how much fun it was going through the Times of India review early in the morning on Sundays. The shiny paper and the longer cartoon strips (9 boxes instead of the regular 3) were a high-point of the week. The four comic strips that colored the page were - Beetle Bailey, Garfield, Hagar the horrible and the wizard of ID.

Some impressions remain for life. One of the first Sundays when I began this ritual of going through these comic strips, my brother casually advised me to steer clear of the Wizard of ID and Hagar the horrible because they would be, in his impression, difficult for me to decipher at my age. That stuck! Even to this date, 10 years hence, whenever I come across these two strips, there is a part of me convinced that maybe I won't get it. Some impressions ...


No comments: